Sunday, June 30, 2013

Overall cycle post

So it seems I will have to do an overall cycle blog, as I didn't get to it before. In fact the only place we found internet was in Keylong, where we spent three days trying to recuperate from the height, and Thomas was getting over mild sun stroke.

Our first day we cycled 35km and stopped just prior to our first pass
-the last 10 km was killer because of the height & the government guest house was a rip off

the second day we cycled 50? km and stayed in an abandoned house in our tent
-at top of the pass was crazy with tourists going on slow motion tubes in the snow, yak rides and snowmobiles.

The third day we cycled 35km to Keylong
-Thomas barely made the last 5 km as he was starting to get a fever.

We did a few rest days in Keylong, which weren't the most restful

The forth cycling day 50ish km and stayed in our tent just outside

The fifth cycling day we did our second high pass and cycled to Sarchu
-I barely made it up, Thomas helped pull me at the last bit.

We did a rest day in Sarchu

The sixth cycling day we did our 3rd high pass. There wasn't even anywhere to stop for tea after Sarchu. We stayed the night in a tiny little place. Only to discover the next morning that we had not completed the pass

The seventh cycling day we cycled the rest of the 3rd pass.
-I vowed not to cycle another pass. I was dead tired, had trouble catching my breath and just couldn't figure out why I would want to cycle up a pass. The next city to be reached was Pang, a rough dirt road all the way from the pass. About 10 km outside of Pang, Thomas has a good fall. His front rack is held on by two thin pieces of metal, that are often use to hold drains. The top one broke,  one of his front panniers fell off and he took a tumble.

Somehow I actually hear him when he calls. I get back, and have to lie him down, he's not good with the site of blood. A bus passes, and they stop, all offering assistance. I accept some iodine, a few larger bandages and some antibiotic cream. But I don't rea;;y need help, seeing as how I am (almost) a licensed paramedic, I can deal. I clean out his wounds with clean water, package him up, thankfully only road rash. But of course his worst spot his his right palm, which he managed to remove the skin on. Thankfully the first passing traffic in our direction (which was a fair wait) was a gas truck, which gave us a lift. In fact, our driver took us within 50 km of Leh, the closest city. Which is where we took a truck to the next day. We are staying in the white part of town.... but our room is both lovely and cheap, with a hot shower, which is what Thomas wanted most. I re-bandaged him up, and we both slept more than 12 hours last night, I think I managed 14. I feel spectacular, if somewhat out of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment