Monday, January 30, 2012

I love couch surfing!

As I was looking for a site today for my first camping adventure, I was reminded how great couch surfing is. I mean of course it's better then camping, but I had intended on writing this note prior to knowing that I was going to camp. The act of going through profiles and seeing all the interesting people is great. But the thing is, not only do you get to meet them, they invite you into their home and treat you like a special guest.
Herb and Tee invited me into their home simply on the suggestion of someone else; as I was taken as extended family because of my Occupy connections. Tee is actually a couch surfer who say my post, but didn't think she could host me as she was staying with Herb. I went to an Occupy General assembly with them an attended part of a city counsel meeting.  They shared stories about how great the changes in their lives were because of living at Occupy and they impressed me with their dedication and their efforts to stop the coal trains.--
And then I met Larry. He is a champion hosted and seems to always have guests. I was the lone guest the first night, but two other return surfers showed up early the next morning. He made me peanut butter cookies and showed me the short documentary he filmed. Because of his couch surfing connections he is getting the film subtitled into German, Spanish and hmm, I'm pretty sure there was another language. These people are doing this for free and now Larry has the opportunity to show in film festivals around the world. Couch surfing and the philosophy it stands for of giving and hospitality are great. Larry also said something to me that will stay with me, that couch surfing attracts all different types.
The next person I met was Kirsty. Kirsty's profile said she couldn't host, but could maybe meet for coffee. She seemed so awesome I had to try, that I'd like to meet her and also asked if there was a remote possibility she could host me. It turns out she had moved towns and did have a spare couch. It also turned out that as I wanted to go to the coast, I didn't want to go through where she had lived after all. Not only is she a Chinese medicine practitioner, but she is so hospitable and fun. She agreed to host me even though she had a morning flight. She has also inspired me to use and buy better products.

I then got to stay with Robert. Larry's words of all Types certainly was true here. Robert and his three teenaged daughters live in a community house with four young guys and pets. There are animals everywhere. Two big dogs, two tiny dogs, a cat, fish, a large lizard and a parrot. The night I showed up they hosted a roll playing game, that I mostly joined in(my recon mission had me out of action for a lot of it). 

I realized that going to the meetups I only have been meeting a type of couchsurfer and that there is a whole gambit that simply don't attend those. It looks like I have more in store for the future and I can't wait to meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment