Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Why I love La Nina

I am sitting today, in Bellingham having made it today, as far as I had hoped to make it last night.

But before we go further. I am sitting here drinking a chai made from lovely loose tea & eating a huge cream puff(I need to get myself back into poverty mode).

I had fun trying to cross the boarder yesterday. Apparently not having a job and a permanent residence (I am always welcome with my mother because she is so lovey, Dave too) is a problem when crossing boarders. luckily I have a friend who lives really close to the boarder on a farm. They managed to find a working printer in their house, there is four grown up children (?) that live in the house and only one of them has a working printer, that was out of ink. They found one that they didn't know worked so I printed off my condo agreement as well as a plane ticket my father bought for me. Today, as i had been red flagged and did not have 6 months worth of pay stubs and utility bills ( as per requested)they hummed and hawed, but let me in. This guy also bothered find my father's company on the Internet. I managed to get through the boarder by 11, and was on my way.

The advice given about cycling the pacific coast advises against cycling in winter, even if it is a warm El Ninjo year. I figured I had it beat, it's an extra cold La Ninja winter, certain to be stormy and crazy. And I had my first taste today. Yesterday cycling felt slow, I know I am not used to heavy loads for long periods (I am used to way heavier for short trips) but I was starting to feel very unfit. But after being denied at the boarder yesterday. I had avoid hill to climb, it was easy. By then it was dark and thewind had died. It seems I am going to have headwinds most of the way.

Today was a lot of work.i got blown off the side of the road at one point into a grassy side. I have clip shoes, but I had to leave at least one foot unclipped most of the time because I was worried about sing blown and then falling. Going up & down rolling hills with ahead wind the whole time is a lot more work then I am used to. Therewere points where on flat i was pedling hard to just acheivev walking pace.I also only have so many daylight hours. I had hoped to make it to Everett tonight, then Seattle tomorrow. I gave up on Evertt, I maybe could have made it prior to dark, but I had nowhere to stay. In Bellingham, I did have a couch surf set up for yesterday and I thought perhaps it might still work. On my way, isaw a guy gardening, I stopped to talk with him and he invited me for tea. He is an old artist hippy type and he is involved with occupy Bellingham. He managed to set up a place for me to stay (with Herb & Tea) on the other far south side of town. I am going to the general assembly at 5:30. It should be really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment