Monday, February 6, 2012

Lincoln City, OR

Last night I camped out at the beach. It was beautiful warm night, and I had my tent in a small wood right beside the beach wetlands. Today I hit my first stretch of true Oregon coast. There was mile upon of of beautiful crashing waves. It was also sunny and just a day made of heaven.

I had way too far to travel. My birthday party festivities got us home at 4 am and left one of us with a hangover, so we were really late on the road, and we went a different route then I expected, so six days after leaving Astoria, I found myself back there again, with about an hour and a half left of daylight. I scouted myself out a great campsite right by town, then went and bought dinner and checked my mail.

This left me with a bed, but about 80-90 miles to get there and I knew I wasn't going to make it. I figured at 4:00 I would start trying to hitch a ride. However, at about 11-11:30 I stopped at a restaurant to get some water. I mentioned to the waitress I was cycling and headed to Mexico. A guy who was sitting down started to talk with me, he had a notebook with a bicycle image on it, and of course he was a cyclist. He bikes a lot for red and has done two short tours, one in the alps and the other in Chile. He was headed to town and offered me a ride. He even bought me breakfast (lunch?). It was awesome, he even took me about 15 miles out of his way, and took out his tools to ensure all my screws were tightened down. I forgot to mention he would make my mum happy, but of course that would. This managed to take today trek down to 60 miles, which was way better.

1 comment:

  1. I'm cycling vicariously through you, Britta! :) Keep on keepin' on, miss! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete