Monday, April 16, 2012

Acapulco-Mexican resort town

What were my impression of Acapulco?
Well it struck me as an impression of Califonria. Everything is big, splashy and western. Well most things. There is a hardrock cafe, senior frogs (complete with line ups), walmart and goodness knows how many other things. I got the impression that this is where Mexicans come to have holidays. Well the rich Mexicans at least. There is a waterpark right on the strip close to where my host Michelle worked. I asked if it was fun, but she said at $25USD it cost too much for her. At night there are horse drawn carts and plenty of people milling about on the main boulevard. It is maybe 20-40 blocks long, with palm trees running down the middle of the road.
I went for a swim in the ocean. It looked brown, but you know, sand is brown, so whatever. The area for swimming only went out about 20m (I went further of course) but I did not stay out long as I realized I was slimey from the water. Gross! I asked why the water was like that and Michelle told me they say it goes that way when there is too many people- which is not true. Firstly very few people were actuall in the water, more people were on jet skis, second people do not cause this. I don´t know if was polution or a natural phenomenom of plankton or something. Needless to say I was not impressed.

Leaving town I climbed a huge hill that had all the posh night clubs. When I got to the other side I hit the rivh resort side. It was really pretty here, much quieter and the gingo side by the looks of it. The fairmont was on the golf course over here. I didn´t go in the ocean there, but I bet it was nicer.

What I did love was the market. I love markets, particualrly in poor countries. This one was huge and hustling, all my heart could desire. I even bought my first souvenir, but it is a present for Thomas.

And I bought a new camrea as I killed mine. I think I also killed my phone and the touch screen on my ipod no longer works (not sure if it can be fixed).

I am on my way to Puerto Escondido and then to Oaxaca city.

2 comments:

  1. I just realized I can post comments!!! YAY! Sounds like mexico has been amazing (other than your flooded tent...) I wish you were still here in san diego though. I want to go mini golfing again. Actually: i want to watch you hit the ball 20 times and not make it in the hole from 4 inches away. haaaaaa! so funny. score = happy face. Miss you and be safe!!

    ReplyDelete