Sunday, April 8, 2012

Alamos- the lookout from the hill

Alamos-6 by thebaconfairy
Alamos-6, a photo by thebaconfairy on Flickr.

Alamos is a lovely town, quite old. UNESCO has labeled it a world heritage site for the architecture, I imagine it is very old. What is interesting that that very few of the buildings appeared to be occupied, across from the main square outside the front of the buildings were all tourist style stalls. It did not look like the building behind the stalls were in use, but they may have been homes or something else, I am not sure, from the outside they appeared to be empty. I went into the church, and climbed the hill to get a good view. There is stairs, but I didn't see them, I ended up cycling up the back road, which was good as I did not have to leave my bike. I stayed with a couch surfing host named Paul. He is a writer and works in fish conservation around the world. He and his family live part-time in Mexico and part-time in Maine, USA, but when I was there his family was back in the states. I got to read apart of what he was working on- about the sea urchin fishing in...shoot, I think it was chile. He talks about the Japanese demand wiping out almost every other place's stock and about foreign ownership, among other things, though it is primarily a novel rather then non-fiction. Paul's house is kitty-corner to the old graveyard which is awesome. I am a fan of graveyards and took a bunch of photos of this one. I am not sure if I can describe it well, there tends to be quite a few tiny houses (mausoleums?), fake flowers and raised table style concrete boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment