Saturday, April 14, 2012

What ever floats your boat sinks your tent

It seems I have bad luck with water and camping in Mexico. I was in El Tomo two nights ago. I set my tent up next to a beach clothing stand and some fishermen's boats. The stall was being covered up for the night, so I set my tent up. I started reading in my tent, but noticed my neighbors were having trouble with their tent. The poles all connect to a central and and they had been trying to get them in after having attached the other poles to the tent already. As we had a language barrier, I simply Un-hooked the pole pegs from the tent and the last pole went into the central connector with no trouble. Yippee for years of tent building. I went back to my tent and kept on reading on my iPad when all of the sudden I was wet. A huge wave came and went throughout my tent. I had puddles everywhere. My cell phone which I had out as an alarm clock was sitting in a puddle. My camera was out as the pictures I tried to take of my campsite didn't work well in the twilight. I had two huge puddles in my tent, at the front and back. My thermarest was soaking wet and parts of my sleeping bag were damp. I also had a bunch of clothes that had been damp out and they were wet too. I pulled my tent back along the beach, then built a small barrier. I emptied the puddle in the front, but left the back one as also my stuff was out and I wanted to go to sleep. I put my sweater on, which thankfully was only wet in the sleeves. With that and my practically wet sleeping bag, I was warm enough to sleep. I slept until just before dawn, some fishermen took the boat out fishing that I had originally been set up next to. I packed up my wet camp, discovering that my iPod, which had worked the night before somehow had ended up in a puddle during the night at the momment the tough screen does not appear to be working, but maybe it might fix itself. At least my passport stayed dry, my skirt which held it was very wet, but luckily that pocket was dry. I know from experience wet passports are frowned upon. My saving grace was having a couch surf set up in Acapilco. I was on the bus all day, but managed to make it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment