Monday, April 9, 2012

Thoughts on Mexico

About 100-200 km north of Puerto Vallarta the climate changes to a tropical one. The stretch between Tepic and Peurro Vallarta reminded me so much of the tropical part of Ghana near Kumasi—the stands of fruit sellers only added to this impression. I can see why Puerto Vallarta is such a popular destination. It is the lushest place I have been to in Mexico yet and has lovely beach. But as the bus passed the all inclusives living the beaches to the south I was thinking that this wasn't Mexico. Going further on, the stark poverty of the villages was such a contrast to the the American vacation package places and it just felt like there was a real poverty in culture in the American hotels. I also had a hard time in Puerto Vallarta getting out. My first bus took me near the centre and when I got there, after a police officer directed me to the tourist information, I discovered all. It one line worked out of the bus station, a half an hour driver away. Then the bus company had no more buses, thank goodness the Mexicans at the bus stop to go to the bus station put me into the way of getting a bus from the next block over. I've figured out that in Mexico everything is possible, you just have to figure out how. And pretty much all directions are going to be different, you are lucky if one set is correct, but most lead generally in the correct direction, until finally the last person you ask says it is a block away. Palapas-11 Palapas-12 Palapas-15 Palapas-16

No comments:

Post a Comment