Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cycling in Mexico

So it is more then time I made a post about Mexico.

I arrived in Tijuana saturday night. My friend Luis picked me up in San Diego. He had been there hanging out with friends, so we just met up in the evening. I was a little amazed to find out that the boarder is just a line to cross, there is no boarder guards or booth, well none that I saw. Perhaps they haul people with american licence plates out of the line? Or maybe it is just safety people were talking of as far as hastle goes?
Anyhow, Luis decided to take me out. He was also giving me lessons on TJ. Apparently it is a lot safer now and is getting well recognized on the music scene. The bar scene was crazy. All of the bars are on the same street, maybe 4-5 blocks of solid door to door bars, there is of course other areas as well. And it is all a mix, some of them are classy and decorated and would look chic on main street or gastown, others were goth themed or granville street style. We were done early at 1, but Luis took me past the shady are where TJ residents go when the regular bars close.

The next morning he took me to Ensenada where we met up with another friend of mine Mario and his brother. We hung out and drank margarita's (which may have started at one bar in town, but of course no one agrees), and had mariachi bands come by. we also ate ceviche (sed-each-ay), which is fish that has been cooked using the acid in limes and then is served on a crisp corn tortilla called  a tostada.

The next day I went for a great cycle with Mario's friend Beto. There are some countryside photos of this. I had intended to leave the next day, but was feeling sick, so I took a rest day.

Today was my first cycle day in Mexico. I started it by taking a bus to San Quintin (Key-tan, i believe was the pronounciation). I was told the roads from here on out would be less busy and safer. It has been beauctiful, but a bit different, even when \i was close to the water, I didn't see it much as there is huge sand dunes blocking it. I reached the town of Rosario and will try \beto's suggestion of sleeping in the park next to the police station. It seems wifi is not going to work great all of the time. I went to one resturant because it claimed to have wifi. I couldn't get the password to work, so I went to the internet place just two doors down. But the Wifi password didn't work, I pretty much had to force to girl at the desk to use google translate to tell me what the problem was. This was really difficult as she could not spell. I finally found out there was no password for the wifi. The free computer is not working, however, there was a young boy who they asked (I believe his parents forced him) to let me use his computer. \he is now sitting with his dad.

1 comment: