Monday, March 26, 2012

Sailing day one

I am sitting here at the end of the day as the girls make dinner. It has been a beautiful day. We met Hugh, our captain at seven at the dock, tried to load up, found the bikes didn't fit, but put them on the floor to fiddle with later. I then made eggs, with tomato, onions, avocado and corn tortillas. Sadly I was later sea sick, I never have been before, I then up just a little bit at first, felt fine. But when Meia went down to throw up again, I puked off the side, even though I felt okay. The rest of the journey I felt great. I guess I should take some time to tell you about my companions. Meia is an American from Vermont, she is 26 and strikes me as a fairly sporty hippy type. She has a very dark tan, shortish hair she is forming dreadlocks in and a red fringe for bangs, you'll see a photo later. She has beautiful thigh muscles, I think if I lost some more weight mine would be like them. She started in Alaska in the summer, but took three months off to work since then. She has a small guitar, plays not great, maybe a bit better then you, but sings beautifully. She is outgoing, enthusiastic and fun. I like her a fair bit. Julie is 23 and from Australia. She started a tour in Vancouver to leith ridge, Alberta. This tour started in LA with another girl and met the group in Tijuana I believe.They started in Tijuana the same time I started in Vancouver. She strikes me as the stereo typical couch surfer. Traveling for a long time, fun, a little quiet, rather kind, up for adventure and just enjoying herself.  Hugh is from Alaska, maybe 55-60. He is a pilot in Alaska for small planes, some for people, some for commercial goods. He likes to talk, but not a whole lot. I think he has warmed up to Meia a fair bit. He is very obliging and easy going and is exceedingly nice about taking us, willing to put up with space inconveniences to have us.  Lastly is the ship. It is a 36 foot sailboat. It had a beautiful wooden interior, a cabin in the fore with two beds. We are sleeping in the dinning area. The 4 person table & bench has the table that lowers to create a double bed and next to it is a single bench, where I will sleep. It also houses one bike during the day, which will be placed in the hall space for night. We managed to get two bikes into the forward bench/ storage area, this spot would be like a bunk cubbie, with only head and shoulders out if someone slept there. We had to take off handle bars and seats, and Julie took off her front pannier holds as well to get them in. I think we are going to have a really good trip. I kind of regret not meeting the whole group sooner, they seemed like a lot of fun and I kind of felt like I was intruding, well  not really,  it it was their last group day. They were very kind and inclusive, I just don't easily feel apart of a group and they were in a space of parting with really good friends. I quite like Portal (Hiro) a guy from Japan, a yogi type with one enormously long dread, longer then my hair and a long Japanese old man style beard. He told me I was good luck, that I brought on the boat ride and actually meant it (okay, I guess I can be flattered into a good opinion) and told me to take care of his friends. I wish I had known him longer, I think he was the type I would like to be friends with. He gave all three of us crystals to take with us. Anyhow, we ate a late breakfast, were well underway, spent some time lounging on deck and I fell asleep and woke up sweating, the girls had gone inside to sleep. I didn't know until later that I only slept about 10 minutes. I did go inside, but had a bunch of bags on my bed  I  sort of arranged, but couldn't sleep. I then took apart my bike and put it up into the storage area, in the morning Julie had got her bike there before eating. About half an hour after eating we all were ill, well Julie only felt ill, so the second bike was never put up, as it is way, way better to be on deck while feeling ill. I then hung out with Hugh for a while. I tired sleeping later, maybe slept 1/2 hour (I forgot to mention we were all up until 2 the night before), then hung out on deck a bit more. At three I woke them up so they would sleep in the evening. We hung out for a hour or so, then pulled into harbour. I swam to shore. I didn't tell the girls how beautiful it was. There is a little sand bank after the tide sand beach shore. Walking up this I could see the next bay, maybe 100 feet away, from my spot both could be seen in one shot (sorry no camera) and the result was stunning.    I enjoyed the swim as I needed some exercise. We ate pasta for dinner, had Mexican hot chocolate and sweets for desert and watched the sun set. Now it is 8:20, dark and we are all reading or writing quietly, I am playing Cuban Fire music. I am al ost ready for bed, being very tired. Looks like Hugh is getting ready for bed.  We are currently anchored in Isla San Fransisco, a small island right next to Isla San Jose. It is about level with Cuidad Custitucion. There are maybe 10-15 other boats anchored here. Apparently there is a lovely hike along a precipice

No comments:

Post a Comment